September 12, 2016

Save Money and Help the Environment, Vol. 2: Around the House

Mrs. Tell is growing her very own Money Mustache.

Mr. Go is working hard toward an early retirement and a Happy Life in general with the guidance of Mr. Money Mustache, and part of that is breaking free of the addictive cycle of consumerism. (Do I sound like a hippie yet? Just wait.)

To be less dependent on material goods, I've taken it upon myself to save here and there by implementing some DIY projects. These ideas actually came to me when brainstorming how to create less garbage, and I realized they have the added bonus of keeping money in our pockets (or bank accounts, as it were).

1. Reusable K-Cup

My soul died a little every time I threw that little plastic cup in the garbage, and so I rejoiced to use this little guy. Less waste even than traditional drip coffee makers that use disposable filters. Plus, the Keurig uses less energy by heating a smaller amount of water at a time. Every penny counts, people. Every. Penny.

2. Reusable Feminine Sanitary Products

Listen, this freaked me out at first too. But this is how ladies did it for thousands of years until Kotex realized they could make money off us. Here's a good resource for reusable pad tutorials. For those days I can get away with it, a batting or flannel-lined pad is the way to go. When my current tampon stash runs dry, the tampon-alternative Moon Cup is on my Amazon Wish List.

3. Reusable Water Bottle

I've been carrying around a Klean Kanteen for five or six years. I lost one in Kansas City so I'm actually on my second one. It's a 20 oz piece of crap that I've dropped so many times it leaks if it lays horizontal, but it's an insulator so my water stays the perfectly chill drinking temperature.

Plus, I never have to waste my money buying water like a schmuck or heaven forbid throw away a plastic bottle like an even bigger schmuck.

4. Buy Products with Less Packaging

Those packages of raisins that come pre-packed in tiny little boxes make me irrationally angry. If I ever happen to see someone putting one of those in their cart at the grocery store I'll probably...well I'll probably just judge them really hard in my head and give them the stink-eye, but only if they're not looking at me.

Instead, buy a bulk pack (or even better, get them bulk at Whole Foods and then use the plastic bag to pick up dog poop) and divvy them out in reusable snack bags (see #8) in your kids' lunches.

This one is more of a Help the Environment tip, but a lot of times bulk packs are less expensive. Just make sure you look at the per ounce price on the label, not the total price, or get out your phone and do a calculation.

5. Stop Your Junk Mail

Get yourself on the National Do Not Mail List and end those annoying credit card offers and L.L. Bean catalogs.

6. Reusable Grocery Bags

Hello, my name is Captain Obvious, nice to meet you. But even I, preaching these things to you, didn't start using reusable grocery bags until this very year. For shame, Mrs. Tell, for shame.

While many grocery stores have those bins you can bring your plastic bag full of plastic bags back to for recycling, I have a suspicious nature and don't trust that they actually recycle them. Best to avoid the plastic altogether.

7. Reusable Snack Bags

I saw a tutorial for these when I was young and carefree and thought 'why would anyone do this?' And then I had Babs, and having hidden stashes of raisins, cereal, bread and other carbs in my purse, car and jacket pockets at all times became a necessity. I found myself throwing away plastic bags left and right. And then I realized...ohhhhh, that's why people make their own snack bags.

Anyway, here's a tutorial for one.

8. Second Hand Clothing

I hesitate to even put this on here, because chances are you don't need more clothes at all. But if you find yourself in need of a rad original costume, be it Halloween or comic-con, or something fly for that special meeting, check your local Goodwill, ARC or independent thrift store, or Craigslist for garage sales.

Odds are you won't get a plastic hangar to throw away, and it should be a fraction of the cost of new, if you do it right. And before you go making a face, you can absolutely find trendy stylish clothes second hand. Bonus for it being unique and maybe even vintage.

9. Reusable Diapers

I drug my feet on this one so long that we only used our re-usable diapers for a few months before Babs was potty trained. But we still saved a pile of money, and avoided sending hundreds of non-biodegradable Pampers to a landfill. It's incredible how much room diapers take up in the garbage. And how heavy they get.

The vast array of options for reusable diapers is astounding, but I'll make it simple for you. Order 5 Alva Baby shells and 5 inserts. Get 2 of the inserts with thicker layers. Then purchase more if needed. They're actually cheaper to purchase on their website than on Amazon. (More on reusable diapers in an upcoming Potty Training post.)

10. DIY Baby Wipes

With soap and witch hazel, these are actually antibacterial, whereas Pampers wipes are not; they just wipe off the poop, they don't sanitize.

Get the tutorial here. 

I did not use Grapeseed Oil or Olive oil, but everything else was the same.

Tip: Use the Viva paper towels without the indent-marks. The smooth texture is better for baby butt. Don't get the kind that has the "Choose a Size" option. You want the full sheet size.

A large Folgers tub is great for storing! Or a gallon size Ziploc bag. Make up a big batch; it lasts a long time. It won't go bad for a year or so. Just tip the jug up and down a few times (don't shake it or it'll get bubbly) to distribute the oil before you pour it over your paper towels.

Things You Think You Need But Actually Don't

This is a whole separate list of things you can replace/reuse with other things, or just stop buying altogether.

1. Diaper Disposal Bags

Look, everybody shits. Babies do it like four times a day. If you're worried about people smelling it in your garbage, throw it in the outside bin.

2. Trendy Storage Bins from Target

Use a shoebox. Or an empty mason jar, or the box your Amazon package came in. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!

This list could go on ad infinitum, but instead I advise that when you're thinking about a purchase, ask yourself, "Do I need it?" Odds are you don't, but if you still think you do, ask yourself what you could use instead.

Captain Planet would be so proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment