September 5, 2016

Mrs. Tell Is a TV Star

I mean, kind of.

Well, not really.

It's hard to think of myself as an Expert, because I know the inner workings of my own mind and WTF flashes across my brain on the daily. But I actually do know a lot more on a certain subject than many others, and have been solicited to impart that knowledge in several different avenues.

First, as a freelance writer for Sew News, a nationally-distributed how-to magazine. And secondly, taping a project-based how-to video and doing Live Q&A for National Sewing Circle, a web-based sewing resource.

Here's my YouTube debut:


And the latest installment:


What excellent frames to freeze on. Thanks YouTube.

I just so happened to have the connections to acquire these freelance opportunities from when I worked full time. Maybe this work will build up my 'brand' as Mr. Go likes to call it, and lead to more opportunities, or maybe it'll just amount to a few extra bucks and a creative fix. Either way, it's fun. Plus I like the sound of my own voice (said no one ever).

So here I am, being touted as an Expert in my field, which makes part of me wildly uncomfortable, but I have to come to terms with the fact that yes, I actually am an expert at something. Especially considering my last performance, where I screwed up my time zones and only realized we were going Live with 20 minutes prep-time instead of 1 hour and 20 minutes, as I had so carefully 'planned.' And it went great, because I had the knowledge to back me up (and no extra time to psych myself out).

Tim Ferris says to be an 'Expert' you just have to know more on your subject than 80% of the people out there. Tim has all sorts of hacks and tricks for building yourself up as an 'Expert', but I just worked in my field for a while and Expertise just sorta happened. I came across some good opportunities to build up impressive-sounding experiences, such as being a guest on Sew it All TV on PBS.

It wasn't my goal to become sewing teacher/celebrity (or sew-lebrity, as they say in the biz. ha. ha.) so I've been pretty chill about it, but Mr. Go, in stellar Mr. Go fashion, urges me to run with it.

Anyway my point here is: anyone can be an expert. It's not some lofty goal. Not to undermine my success or anything, but if I can be an Expert, as I'm running around flailing in this zoo that is my life, you can do it too. Read some books. Work a while in your industry; pay attention; use every mistake as a lesson and soak up the knowledge, sponge-like. Expertise will probably sneak up on you. 

1 comment: