August 5, 2015

Vagabonding Packing List (with a baby) (and 2 dogs)

Listen, you're not gonna find a bigger clothes horse than this girl. So fitting everything I needed for 6+ months into a duffel (that I had to share with Babs) was pretty daunting.

Before:

 there's more crammed into every corner

up next on Hoarders...

After:


basics

indulgences

I started with the basics. Things I would need if I were camping, or the car broke down on the side of the road. Bare-bones, essential survival gear. Mr. Go assured me we could thrift more clothes when we arrived at our destination and re-donate them when we leave, which put my mind at ease. I would not have to go naked--or worse.
The rest was all indulgence. I could've parsed this down a lot, too, and I'm sure I'll have to for the next venture.
  • nice dress & heels (for the one day a year I need to wear something nice)
  • climbing shoes
  • hiking boots
  • this prAna dress (literally the best thing I own)
  • several camis (the kind with the shelf bra. A-cup ladies know what I'm talking about)
  • several over-cami tanks
  • jean shorts
  • 2 more pairs of workout shorts
  • workout capris
  • lounging sweats
  • cotton shorts
  • a nicer pair of jeans
  • backup T-shirt & a couple casual tops
  • this prAna tank
  • 1 bag of jewelry & a small purse
It was important to only bring things that were versatile. None of this "these shoes only go with this one outfit" that I like to do. I can wear my sneakers with pretty much everything I brought. Same with my sandals. Mix and match. These are good principles to live by anyway.

Babs' packing list was tough, since she's growing so fast. I packed things she needed daily right now and one or two things she could grow a little bit into. Baby clothes are small, so they were easy to pack, but it's also easy to thrift baby clothes.
  • 7 onesies (including 1 long sleeved and 1 tank style)
  • 2 sleepers
  • a ton of washcloths
  • 4 burp cloths (to put under her when changing diapers)
  • 3 pairs of shoes
  • socks
  • sun hat
  • 4 sweaters/jackets 
  • 4 pairs of pants
  • 2 T-shirts
  • shorts
Her gear was the toughest to pack. For such a small baby, she certainly requires a lot of bulky equipment.
Other things we packed for our upcoming car camping trips, like a canopy, tent, sleeping bags, small backpack, etc.

The dogs came with their own bulky equipment, like their crates that they sleep in and a big bag of accoutrements like balls, bones, treats, leashes, etc.

It's been fun living a more minimal life than what we're used to. We still have it really, really good, but going without some of the luxuries (read: distractions) we've had in the past makes it easier to put the focus on experiences and being together.

It's sort of cathartic; freeing in a way. You feel lighter without all of your stuff weighing you down. Like you can do anything and go anywhere. Because you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment